SERVES 6 AS A SIDE, 4 AS A SIDE
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth (could use vegetable broth or water)
- 1 10oz bag of frozen corn, thawed and drained of any water
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the Tequila-Lime Shrimp:
- 1lb raw peeled and de-veined shrimp
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup tequila (optional)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper (LOTS!)
For the Chili-Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add quinoa and place a lid on top. Turn heat down to medium-low then simmer until quinoa is tender and broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork then transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly.
- For the Tequila-Lime Shrimp: Whisk together all ingredients except shrimp in a large bowl then add shrimp and marinate for 10 minutes. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then mist with olive oil or nonstick spray. Add shrimp, being careful not to crowd the pan (may need to do 2 or 3 batches,) then saute for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Add to bowl with cooked quinoa.
- For the Chili-Lime Vinaigrette: Combine ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid or in a small bowl then shake or whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add corn, black beans, avocado, red onion, and cilantro to the quinoa and shrimp then drizzle with Chili-Lime Vinaigrette. Toss to combine then taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
For the entire recipe you’ll need 3 limes.
(Visited 29 times, 4 visits today)