Spicy Turkey Sausage, Spinach and Garbanzo Bean Pasta Recipe
This Spicy Turkey Sausage recipe is so yummy. Serve this to your family and they’ll think you’re cheating on your diet. Warning: Watch your portion size. This is a hearty man’s meal and a little goes a long way! There are about 8 servings, so portion it out into 8 bowls or containers for leftovers to avoid overeating.
(Makes about 8 servings)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion chopped (I used a yellow onion)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 cans unsalted chicken broth (a box stock is fine too)
- one 15oz. can of garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed until all the sauce is gone. (BUSH’s beans are great)
- 1 package of fresh spinach (10 oz), found near bags of salad lettuce
- 8 oz (1/2 of a box) whole wheat bowtie pasta (farfalle), cooked and strained
- 1 pack of Jenny O’ Hot Italian Turkey Sausages
- 2 lemons, cut into slices (seeds removed)
- a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (if you like a lot of heat!)
- Spray large skillet with olive oil spray and cook sausages until cooked.
- Remove sausages so they can cool.
- In the pan, add the olive oil, minced garlic and chopped onions, saute for about 3 minutes then add the fresh spinach and saute until wilted.
- Pour in the chicken broth and garbanzo beans. Simmer.
- Next, cut the sausages into small slices and add to the pan.
- Place lemon slices into the mixture.
- Sprinkle with some red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Simmer and stir for about 5-10 minutes so flavors can mix.
- To serve, put 1/2 cup of pasta in your bowl and spoon a 1/2 cup of sausage mixture over the pasta.