How to make your own fruit and veggie wash spray…
I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I like them to be squeaky clean before I eat them. You always want to wash pesticides, soil and other residue from your produce. The waxy surface (found on apples, grapes and cucumbers) cannot be washed off with just water but it and other matter can be dissolved in an acidic solution made with lemons and vinegar.
There are a lot of great fruit and veggie washes available on the market, but they can be over-priced. You can make your own inexpensive spray using ingredients you probably already have.
What you need:
- A spray bottle (I used my old Fit bottle)
- A funnel
- Lemon juice (The acid in lemons is a natural disinfectant and lemons make your produce smell great!)
- Distilled white vinegar (Another really good natural disinfectant)
- Thoroughly wash your spray bottle.
- Using your funnel, pour 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 cup of water into your spray bottle.
- Shake the mixture before every use.
- Spray the wash onto your produce. Then rinse your produce off.