Lose Weight by Eating Oatmeal…
Oatmeal Boosts Weight Loss! Replacing your usual breakfast with a bowl of oatmeal can help you lose weight faster. Oatmeal has a reputation of “sticking to your ribs”. The reason why is that it is filled with a cholesterol-lowering fiber called beta-glucan. It is also high in iron, a mineral that your body needs to carry oxygen to your muscles and other tissue. A half-cup portion has 4 grams of fiber, helping you stay full longer. Oatmeal is considered a slow-burning carbohydrate which means that your body digests and absorbs it slowly while providing a steady supply of energy. The alternative “quick-burning carbs” pass through the digestive system quickly and may produce a crash later.
Easy Oatmeal Recipe Ideas:
- Oatmeal with Bacon and Maple Syrup – These classic breakfast ingredients are delicious in a bowl of plain oatmeal.
- Oatmeal with Nuts and Dried Cranberries – Add dried cranberries and your favorite nut (crushed pecans, walnuts or pistachios) to your bowl of oatmeal.
- Oatmeal with Blueberries, Sunflower Seeds, and Agave – Sweeten your oatmeal with agave, a low-glycemic nectar with a mild, neutral flavor.
- Oatmeal with diced Mango and Toasted Coconut – This is a tropical treat for breakfast!
- Oatmeal with Diced Apples and Cinnamon – Add diced apples to warm oatmeal and sprinkle with cinnamon or even apple pie spice.
Other Oatmeal Uses:
- Use them in recipes instead of breadcrumbs
- Use them in granola bar recipes
- Use them instead of flour to make pancakes
- Make your own Oat Flour by putting old fashioned oats in a food processor
- Swap flour out for rolled oats in your muffin recipes.
- Bulk up a smoothie by adding grinded oats
- Use to thicken soups, stews and sauces instead of flour. Make sure to grind oats into a fine powder.
- Mix with ground beef to make hamburger patties. Not only are you adding fiber and vitamin A, you are making a small package of meat stretch a little farther.
- Mix oats into your homemade veggie burger to bind the ingredients together.
- Make a healthy apple crisp dessert. Here’s the recipe:
Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1 apple
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon warmed honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Cut apple into slices and toss in lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and honey until well combined. Spread a thin layer of the mixture on a piece of tin foil and bake for about 5 minutes. Watch the oats carefully to avoid burning.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the apple slices, adding a tablespoon of water each time the pan begins to dry up. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the fruit reaches desired doneness.
- Put the cooked apples in a bowl and sprinkle with the oat and nut crumble. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt for added creaminess.