Delicious Spicy Turkey Burger Recipe…
This delicious turkey burger is a real winner in my house because my guys love burgers and spicy food. This turkey burger is very moist and juicy too.
Tip: For a moist turkey burger, always use an egg (or egg substitute) in your turkey burger recipe. Do not “pack” the turkey meat into a patty like you would ground beef. Gently form a loose patty to create pockets that hold moisture.
2nd Tip: Ground turkey meat may fall through a grill creating a huge mess. It may also stick in the ridges of a grill pan. It’s easier to cook turkey patties on a flat cooking surface such as a cast iron skillet or griddle pan. One of my favorite grill pans is a griddle on one side and a grill on the other like the one seen here: Large reversible Grill/Griddle pan
- Whole wheat buns
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg or 2 tablespoons of egg substitute
- 2-3 small serrano peppers, split them open, remove the seeds and then mince. (alternate: sometimes fresh are not available, pickled serranos work fine. You can find them in a can in the Mexican foods section. Use 2-3 small peppers, split them open, remove the seeds and mince) Serranos are hotter than jalapenos, so it only takes a little.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced. This will give you burgers a smoky flavor. (You can find them in a can in the Mexican foods section.)
- Other burger toppings: Pepper-jack light cheese slices, lettuce, tomato, pickles and onions
Chipotle Mayo ingredients and preparation:
- 1/4 cup of Mayonnaise (Choose a mayo made with olive oil such as Dukes Light with Olive Oil or Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil)
- 2 teaspoons of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- Mixed the two ingredients together and spread on the buns
Preparation of the burger:
- Preheat skillet or griddle pan to med-high. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine egg, serrano peppers, 1 tablespoon of the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, garlic, dijon mustard and chili powder.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ground turkey and gently work the mixture into the turkey meat.
- Gently form each patty and lay on the hot griddle. Cook for 4-5 minutes on one side, flip the patties and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until cooked.
- Top the cooked patties with cheese. Cook for an additional minute to melt the cheese
- Build your burger with the toppings of your choice