This soup is great the next day too! Remember to watch your portion sizes not only of the soup, but all the extras.
- 3 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (3 cloves garlic)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder (can substitute chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (10 oz) cans of rotel (can substitute a 28oz can of diced tomatoes or jar of salsa)
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapenos
- 1 (15oz) can whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- lime juice (optional)
- tortilla chips (Mission brand has baked and gluten-free tortilla chips)
- sliced avocado
- shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large pot, add 1 T olive oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add in the minced garlic and can of drained corn. Stir.
- Add cumin, ancho chili powder, chicken broth, rotel, green chilis and jalapeno. Stir and simmer.
- While soup is simmering, cook the chicken breasts in olive oil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Shred the chicken.
- Add shredded chicken to soup. Stir.
- Add can of drained beans and 1/2 of the cilantro to the soup mixture and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls. Garnish with tortilla chips, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream and a splash of lime juice. Enjoy!
(Visited 119 times, 1 visits today)