Buffalo Chicken Tenders Recipe…
What’s better than Buffalo wings? A low-fat, boneless, less-messy alternative that tastes just as delicious. Many guys would eat Buffalo wings every night of the week if they could. But one medium-sized chicken wing has 92 calories, 6.18 fat grams and 8.52 grams of protein. And how many are usually eaten as a meal… five, ten, fifteen? There are several benefits to making them yourself… you’re eating a leaner protein, they are baked instead of fried and you get rid of nearly all of the fat without losing the flavor.
A serving size is three tenderloins. But you can have unlimited amounts of celery because it has only 18 calories per cup.
Ingredients (for the chicken strips)
- 1 pound of chicken tenders or 4 boneless, skinless breasts cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- a pinch of garlic powder
- 1 cup of your favorite buffalo sauce. Look for low-sodium brands such as Mr Spice No-Salt Wing Sauce. You can use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce or Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce, but they are still a little high in sodium so don’t add extra salt to the chicken.
- skewers (optional)
Ingredients (for healthy Blue-cheese dressing)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Optional: If you don’t want to make homemade blue cheese dressing, pick up a jar of my favorite blue cheese yogurt dressing… Opa Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing
- Celery sticks, washed and cut into 4″ strips
- Baby carrots
Tip for delicious celery: Celery at a restaurant always seems to taste so much better than store-bought celery which tastes bitter. To remove the bitter taste, wash and cut the celery. Place celery in a food container with water and ice. Then add about 1/4 cup of sugar to the water. Cover the container with a lid and place in the freezer while you prepare the buffalo chicken ball recipe below. Before serving, remove the celery from the water mixture and place on a serving plate. The result is really cold celery sticks with great flavor!
Preparation – buffalo chicken tenders
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Put chicken strips in a re-sealable plastic bag. Add paprika, pepper and garlic powder to the bag. Seal the bag and shake thoroughly.
- Thread chicken onto the skewers (Optional). Arrange skewers in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet or just tenderloin directly on foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn skewers over and bake for 7 to 8 minutes more until done.
- While chicken is cooking, heat buffalo sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once chicken has finished cooking, remove baking sheet from oven.
- TIP: There is a white tendon at the top of each piece of tenderloin that is easy to remove after the chicken is cooked. You don’t want your guest to bite into this so go ahead and remove it before the next step. Just use a sharp knife and slice along both sides of the tendon and then pull the tendon away from the tenderloin. Then continue to the next step.
- Brush both sides of chicken with the Buffalo sauce. Return chicken to oven and bake for 3 minutes more. You can turn your oven to the broil setting for a minute if you want to give it a charred look.
- Serve with blue-cheese dip (see below), extra buffalo sauce and celery sticks.
Preparation – Blue-cheese dip
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor until it is chunky-creamy.
See also… Buffalo Chicken Salad recipe