Do you crave KFC fried chicken?
I love the flavor of KFC chicken, but the thought of eating fried chicken makes my belly hurt. Satisfy your cravings for KFC fried chicken with a fraction of the calories by making a healthier version at home.
This recipe is allegedly the KFC secret recipe from Colonel Sanders’ nephew. It is a delicious combination of 11 Herbs and Spices. I’ve adapted the recipe to cut back on all the salt included in the original recipe, which is a lot. You’ll see the original ingredient in black and the recommended change in red.
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic salt/ ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons celery salt
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon basil leaves, crushed
- ½ tablespoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
Mix the ingredients together and store in a container with a tight fitting lid until ready to use.
Oven-Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 4 chicken breasts, each cut in half
- 1 cup of almond milk, unsweetened (use cow’s milk or buttermilk if that is what you have available)
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Soak chicken in almond milk for at least 30 minutes up to 3 hours (3 hours is best). This will make the chicken very tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the butter and oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven for a couple of minutes until the butter is just melted. Remove the try and spread the oil and butter all over to coat the tray.
- Mix together the KFC spice mixture and 1 cup flour. Pour part of the mixture onto a shallow plate. You’ll continue to add mixture to the plate as you coat each piece of chicken.
- Taking one piece of chicken at a time, shake milk excess off chicken and dip into the flour mixture. Flip it to coat both sides. Place each piece in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Then with a spatula flip each piece. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.